Occupations and industries that are exempt from the minimum wage provisions of the Maryland law include (MD Labor and Emp. Code Sec. 3-403):
• Employees of restaurants and similar food service establishments with annual sales of less than $250,000
• Workers in indoor and outdoor movie theaters
• Canners and processors of fruits, vegetables, seafood, poultry, or horticultural goods
• Employees under the age of 16, working no more than 20 hours per week
• Employees at least the age of 62, working no more than 25 hours per week
• Close relatives of the employer
• Special education students enrolled in public school training programs.
• Agricultural employees on farms that use less than 500 agricultural-worker days of labor per year
• Livestock production employees
• Certain hand-harvest laborers paid on a “piecework” basis
• Outside salespeople and others compensated on commission basis
• Bona fide executive, administrative, and professional employees
There is additional information about exemptions from minimum wage requirements.