There are many reasons an employer might consider hiring part-time employees. In fact, depending on the needs of a particular business, the options for using part-time employees are virtually endless. Some employees simply cannot work full-time because of child care, school, medical, or other reasons and will be able to continue to work only if part-time schedules are offered. Employers can, in fact, attract skilled workers by offering part-time schedules to those who cannot work full-time and retain valuable employees who might otherwise leave their jobs for similar concerns. Hiring part-time employees can keep costs down by reducing the need for overtime and by paying fewer benefits. Companies might use part-time employees in these situations:
• As an alternative to layoffs
• To reduce the workload for a particular job, in a department, or during a busy season
• To perform a specific special task that does not require full-time hours
• When a disability makes it difficult for a particular employee to work full-time
• As an accommodation under the Americans with ...