Governing Law and Regulations
Land Quality and Waste Management Assistance Division Act: Waste Management Assistance Division, Code of Iowa (IA Code) 455B.480 to 455B.488
Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Land Quality and Waste Management Assistance Division
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 7
Iowa Waste Reduction Center (IWRC) University of Northern Iowa
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. Iowa's pollution prevention (P2) programs are voluntary.
• Administration. The Iowa Department of Natural Resources' (DNR) Land Quality and Waste Management Assistance Division and the University of Northern Iowa's Waste Reduction Center administer and regulate the state's pollution prevention/waste reduction programs.
The DNR offers information and services for P2 assistance. These programs are focused on reducing waste or hazardous waste substances at the source before reuse, recycling, or disposal. These services are:
- Pollution Prevention Services
- Pollution Prevention Intern Program
- Solid Waste Alternatives Program (SWAP)
Pollution Prevention Services
DNR's Pollution Prevention Services assists Iowa businesses, industries, institutions, and government agencies to save money and improve operational efficiency through free, confidential, nonregulatory consultation, strategies, and activities. In addition, Pollution Prevention Services offers technical assistance respective to different resources.
Pollution Prevention Intern Program
This program offers Iowa companies, medical facilities, academic campuses, or government agencies an ...