Governing Law and Regulations
Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Land Protection Division
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 6
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. Oklahoma has adopted by reference the federal rules for delisting hazardous wastes. Delisting petitions are variances that are waste and site specific. The delisting applies only to the specific waste generated by the specific facility covered by the petition.
Oklahoma does not have Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) authorization to delist Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) wastes. Facilities must petition EPA Region 6 to exclude a waste from listed hazardous waste regulations. See the national section DELISTING PETITIONS for petition requirements and other guidance.
• Administration and enforcement. EPA Region 6 administers and enforces the rules for hazardous waste delisting petitions in Oklahoma. However, EPA Region 6 involves DEQ in the delisting process. Petitioners should contact DEQ to determine if there are any procedures to follow for the specific waste they are seeking to delist.
REGION 6 DELISTING PETITIONS
In Region 6, only Louisiana is currently authorized for delisting. All other states in the region, including Oklahoma, must following the following delisting process:
- The applicant must submit a written request informing Region 6 of its interest to file a delisting petition.
- A required face-to-face meeting is scheduled, and the appropriate state is invited.
- Region 6 reviews the petitioner's sampling and analysis plan to ensure proper data collection.