Kentucky Hazardous Waste Transporters: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Hazardous waste transporters: Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS) 224.46-560 and regulations at 401 Kentucky Administrative Regulations (KAR) 33:010 to 33:030

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Identification (ID) numbers: 401 KAR 33:010

Registration: 401 KAR 33:010, Section 2(3)

Discharges and spills: 401 KAR 33:030, Section 3(2)

Regulatory Agency

Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet (ECC) Department for Environmental Protection (DEP) Division of Waste Management

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Kentucky's regulations for hazardous waste transporters include the federal rules and several more stringent state standards. The more stringent state rules cover transporter identification numbers, registration, discharges, and spills.

Administration and enforcement. DEP's Division of Waste Management administers and enforces Kentucky's rules for hazardous waste transporters.

State Requirements


Identification Numbers

401 KAR 33:010

In Kentucky, and under the federal rules, hazardous waste transporters are required to have a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) ID number. This ID number must be obtained before transporting hazardous waste. Applications for an EPA ID number are available from DEP. Kentucky uses its own application form (401 KAR 33:010, Section 2(1) and 401 KAR 33:010, Section 2(2)).


401 KAR 33:010, Section 2(3)

In addition, transporters are responsible for registering with DEP before transporting hazardous waste. The state's EPA ID application form is also used to register transporters in Kentucky.

Discharges and Spills

401 KAR 33:030, Section ...

>> Read more about Hazardous Waste Transporters

State Requirements

National | Alabama | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | North Carolina | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin |

Kentucky Hazardous Waste Transporters Resources

Hazardous Waste Transporters Products

Free Special Reports
Get Your FREE Special Report. Download Any One Of These FREE Special Reports, Instantly!
Featured Special Report
Claim Your Free Copy of Recordkeeping for EHS Managers

One of the most tedious aspects of an EHS manager’s job is to keep track of a host of records. Laws have been passed in every jurisdiction requiring facilities to produce and retain records of various kinds. Don’t get caught without the necessary records in the event of a surprise EPA or OSHA inspection! This special report shows EHS managers at a glance the records they must keep on hand and for how long.

Download Now!

This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard.

Also included are 3 useful tables which provide:
  • A summary listing of federal environmental recordkeeping requirements
  • A list of federal safety recordkeeping requirements.
  • A list of federal recordkeeping requirements for DOT and the Department of Homeland Security as they apply to hazardous material transporters and chemical facilities.
Download Now!