Minnesota Hazardous Waste Transporters: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Hazardous waste transporters: Minnesota Rules (MR) 7045.0351 to 7045.0397

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Manifests: MR 7045.0375

Discharges and spills: MR 7045.0395

Emergency response plans: Minnesota Statutes Annotated (MSA) 115E.045

Transfer facilities: MR 7045.0365

Regulatory Agency

Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA)

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Minnesota's regulations for hazardous waste transporters are the same as the federal regulations, with additional requirements for manifests, discharges, and spills. The state also has additional requirements for emergency response plans and hazardous waste transfer stations.

Used oil transporters must follow state notification and registration requirements. See the state section USED OIL MANAGEMENT for more information.

Administration and enforcement. MPCA administers and enforces the hazardous waste transporter rules in Minnesota.

State Requirements



MR 7045.0375

The transporter must ensure that the manifest accompanies the hazardous waste shipment and is maintained in an accessible location during transportation. For more information, see the state section MANIFESTS.

Discharges and Spills

MR 7045.0395

In the event of a discharge or spill of hazardous waste, Minnesota requires transporters to follow a number of its own requirements in addition to the federal rules:

  • Immediately notify MPCA by calling its 24-hour emergency telephone notification service as follows: —612-649-5451 or 612-297-5353 (for hearing impaired) for Twin Cities and outside Minnesota —800-422-0798 or ...

>> Read more about Hazardous Waste Transporters

State Requirements

National | Alabama | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | North Carolina | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin |

Minnesota Hazardous Waste Transporters Resources

Hazardous Waste Transporters Products

Free Special Reports
Get Your FREE Special Report. Download Any One Of These FREE Special Reports, Instantly!
Featured Special Report
Claim Your Free Copy of Recordkeeping for EHS Managers

One of the most tedious aspects of an EHS manager’s job is to keep track of a host of records. Laws have been passed in every jurisdiction requiring facilities to produce and retain records of various kinds. Don’t get caught without the necessary records in the event of a surprise EPA or OSHA inspection! This special report shows EHS managers at a glance the records they must keep on hand and for how long.

Download Now!

This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard.

Also included are 3 useful tables which provide:
  • A summary listing of federal environmental recordkeeping requirements
  • A list of federal safety recordkeeping requirements.
  • A list of federal recordkeeping requirements for DOT and the Department of Homeland Security as they apply to hazardous material transporters and chemical facilities.
Download Now!