Washington Neutralization of Wastes: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Elementary neutralization unit: Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 173-303-040

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Facility permit exemption: WAC 173-303-802(5)

Regulatory Agency

Washington Department of Ecology (WDOE) Hazardous Waste and Toxics Reduction Program

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Washington refers to hazardous waste as "dangerous waste." Washington's neutralization rules include the federal standards, plus the state's additional permit exemption requirements for elementary neutralization units. The state's additional permit exemption requirements establish strict operating requirements for elementary neutralization units.

Administration and enforcement. WDOE's Hazardous Waste and Toxics Reduction Program enforces the neutralization requirements in Washington.

State Requirements


WAC 173-303-802

Washington provides for a "permit-by-rule" for elementary neutralization units that treat state-only dangerous wastes generated on- or off-site or federally regulated hazardous waste generated on-site. Owners and operators of facilities with permits-by-rule are not required to submit an application for a dangerous waste facility permit if they comply with the federal rules and the following state requirements:

  • Wastewater discharges standards established in the facility's National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit.
  • U.S. Environmental Protection Agency identification number requirements (WAC 173-303-060).
  • Identification and designation of dangerous waste procedures (WAC 173-303-070).
  • Facility performance standards (WAC 173-303-283).
  • General ...

>> Read more about Neutralization of Wastes

State Requirements

National | Alabama | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | North Carolina | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin |

Washington Neutralization of Wastes Resources

There are currently no resources for this topic/state.

Neutralization of Wastes Products

Free Special Reports
Get Your FREE Special Report. Download Any One Of These FREE Special Reports, Instantly!
Featured Special Report
Claim Your Free Copy of Recordkeeping for EHS Managers

One of the most tedious aspects of an EHS manager’s job is to keep track of a host of records. Laws have been passed in every jurisdiction requiring facilities to produce and retain records of various kinds. Don’t get caught without the necessary records in the event of a surprise EPA or OSHA inspection! This special report shows EHS managers at a glance the records they must keep on hand and for how long.

Download Now!

This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard.

Also included are 3 useful tables which provide:
  • A summary listing of federal environmental recordkeeping requirements
  • A list of federal safety recordkeeping requirements.
  • A list of federal recordkeeping requirements for DOT and the Department of Homeland Security as they apply to hazardous material transporters and chemical facilities.
Download Now!