Governing Law and Regulations
Montana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Permitting and Compliance Division Waste and Underground Tank Management Bureau Hazardous Waste Program Regulatory Unit
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. Montana adopts by reference the federal regulations for management of universal wastes, including management of fluorescent and other hazardous waste lamps, but with the exception of the provision pertaining to petitions to add a hazardous waste or hazardous waste category to the universal waste management standards at 40 CFR 273. There are additional state provisions for the treatment of waste lamps on-site by crushing or intentional breaking.
• Administration and enforcement. DEQ's Hazardous Waste Program administers and enforces the universal waste rules in Montana.
A handler of universal waste may treat waste lamps on-site by crushing or intentional breaking, provided:
- The crushing or breaking is conducted in the final accumulation container.
- The operation and maintenance of the crushing or breaking unit are performed in accordance with written procedures developed by the manufacturer of the equipment.
- The manufacturer's operating and maintenance instructions are available for inspection by DEQ.
- An operation and maintenance log book, or similar documentation, is maintained and available for inspection by DEQ.
- All crushing, breaking, handling, and ...