Governing Law and Regulations
Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (Ohio EPA) Division of Materials and Waste Management Hazardous Waste Management Program
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. Ohio has adopted the federal used oil management rules and added provisions regarding notification to OEPA by used oil handlers.
• Administration and enforcement. Ohio EPA's Division of Materials and Waste Management administers and enforces the used oil management rules in Ohio.
OAC 3745-279-42, OAC 3745-279-51, OAC 3745-279-62, and OAC 3745-279-73
As under the federal used oil rules, used oil handlers who have not yet received a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) identification (ID) number may either complete the Ohio EPA RCRA Subtitle C Site Identification Form (EPA 9029) or submit a letter requesting an EPA ID number. The letter must include:
- The used oil handler's company name
- Mailing address of the company
- Name of the owner of the company
- Name and telephone number of the company point of contact
- Type of used oil activity
Additional handler information. There are some additional content requirements for the letter, depending on the type of used oil handler submitting the information. Transporters must also include:
- Location of all transfer facilities at which used oil is stored
- Name and telephone number for a contact at each transfer facility
Used oil processors and ...