Iowa Ag Waste: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits: Iowa Administrative Code (IAC) 567-64.1(455B) to 567-64.11(455B)

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

NPDES permits for concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs): IAC 567-65.6 (459,459B)

Animal feeding operations (AFOs): IAC 567-65.1(459,459B) to 567-65.114(455B,459A)

Confinement operations: IAC 567-65.1(459,459B) to 567-65.22(459,459B)

DNR evaluation: IAC 567-65.5(459,459B)

Construction permits: IAC 567-65.7(459,459B)

Certification for construction: IAC 567-65.18(459,459B)

Manure management plans: IAC 567-65.16(459,459B) and IAC 567-65.17(459,459B)

Manure applicators: IAC 567-65.19(459,459B)

Indemnity fund: IAC 567-65.20(459,459B)

Open feedlots: IAC 567-65.100(455B,459,459A) to 567-65.114(455B,459A)

NPDES permits: IAC 567-65.102(455B,459A)

Construction permits: IAC 567-65.105(459A) and IAC 567-65.107(455B,459A)

Construction certification: IAC 567-65.111(459A)

Manure Law, Iowa Code (IA Code) 455B.200 to 455B.206

Regulatory Agencies

Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Environmental Protection Division (EPD) Water Quality Bureau

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 7

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Iowa is authorized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to administer the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program for wastewater discharges from point sources, which include concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs). Iowa has adopted the federal regulations that apply to CAFO NPDES permitting and setback requirements. For more information on federal CAFO permitting, see the national section AG WASTE.

Iowa's rules are more stringent than the ...

>> Read more about Ag Waste

More on this topic:

Governing Law and Regulations
Regulatory Agencies
Comparison: State vs. Federal
State Requirements
Guidance Document

State Requirements

National | Alabama | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | North Carolina | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin |

Iowa Ag Waste Resources

Ag Waste Products

Free Special Reports
Get Your FREE Special Report. Download Any One Of These FREE Special Reports, Instantly!
Featured Special Report
Claim Your Free Copy of Recordkeeping for EHS Managers

One of the most tedious aspects of an EHS manager’s job is to keep track of a host of records. Laws have been passed in every jurisdiction requiring facilities to produce and retain records of various kinds. Don’t get caught without the necessary records in the event of a surprise EPA or OSHA inspection! This special report shows EHS managers at a glance the records they must keep on hand and for how long.

Download Now!

This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard.

Also included are 3 useful tables which provide:
  • A summary listing of federal environmental recordkeeping requirements
  • A list of federal safety recordkeeping requirements.
  • A list of federal recordkeeping requirements for DOT and the Department of Homeland Security as they apply to hazardous material transporters and chemical facilities.
Download Now!