Kansas Ag Waste: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Animal waste permits: Kansas Administrative Regulations (KAR) 28-18-1 to 28-18-17

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Registration requirements: KAR 28-18-2(a)

Permit requirements: KAR 28-18-2(c)

Waste management systems: KAR 28-18-12 and KAR 28-18-13

Separation distances: KAR 28-18-3

Swine waste permits: KAR 28-18a-1 to 28-18a-33

Manure management plan: KAR 28-18a-13

Nutrient utilization plan: KAR 28-18a-14

Emergency response plan: KAR 28-18a-16

Odor control plan: KAR 28-18a-15

Separation distances: KAR 28-18a-3

Swine facility closure: KAR 28-18a-23

Swine facility operator certification: KAR 28-18a-26 to 28-18a-31

Groundwater protection: KAR 28-18-17 and KAR 28-18a-33

Fees: KAR 28-16-56d

Kansas Animal Health Department (KAHD) licenses: Kansas Statutes Annotated (KS Stat. Ann.) 47-1503

Manure composting: KAR 28-29-25c

Regulatory Agencies

Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) Division of Environment Bureau of Water Livestock Waste Management Section

Kansas Animal Health Department (KAHD)

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 7

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Kansas is authorized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to administer the federal National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program for wastewater discharges from a point source, which includes discharges from concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs). Kansas rules are more stringent than federal standards in that any facility with an animal unit (AU) capacity of 300 or more must register with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE). Kansas issues two types of ...

>> Read more about Ag Waste

State Requirements

National | Alabama | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | North Carolina | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin |

Kansas Ag Waste Resources

Ag Waste Products

Free Special Reports
Get Your FREE Special Report. Download Any One Of These FREE Special Reports, Instantly!
Featured Special Report
Claim Your Free Copy of Recordkeeping for EHS Managers

One of the most tedious aspects of an EHS manager’s job is to keep track of a host of records. Laws have been passed in every jurisdiction requiring facilities to produce and retain records of various kinds. Don’t get caught without the necessary records in the event of a surprise EPA or OSHA inspection! This special report shows EHS managers at a glance the records they must keep on hand and for how long.

Download Now!

This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard.

Also included are 3 useful tables which provide:
  • A summary listing of federal environmental recordkeeping requirements
  • A list of federal safety recordkeeping requirements.
  • A list of federal recordkeeping requirements for DOT and the Department of Homeland Security as they apply to hazardous material transporters and chemical facilities.
Download Now!