Louisiana Ag Waste: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Louisiana Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (LPDES) permit program: Louisiana Administrative Code (LAC) 33:IX.2301 to 33:IX.7129

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Concentrated animal feeding operation (CAFO) permits: LAC 33:IX.2505

Land discharges: LAC 33:IX.2505.E

Regulatory Agencies

Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Office of Environmental Services Water Permits

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 6

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Louisiana is authorized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to administer the federal National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES), known in Louisiana as the Louisiana Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (LPDES) permit program, and issues permits for concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs), which follow the federal rules. The state has also adopted the federal effluent limitation guidelines (ELGs). Smaller CAFOs may be regulated by the state on a case-by-case basis.

Administration and enforcement. DEQ's Office of Environmental Services is responsible for the administration of the state's LPDES permit programs. The EPA retains authority to ensure federal standards are met.

State Requirements


LAC 33:IX.2505

As with the federal regulations, owners and operators of CAFOs in Louisiana must seek coverage under an LPDES permit if the CAFO discharges a regulated wastewater. Specifically, the CAFO owner or operator must either apply for an individual LPDES permit or submit a notice of intent for coverage under an LPDES general permit. An application for an individual permit must include ...

>> Read more about Ag Waste

State Requirements

National | Alabama | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | North Carolina | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin |

Louisiana Ag Waste Resources

Ag Waste Products

Free Special Reports
Get Your FREE Special Report. Download Any One Of These FREE Special Reports, Instantly!
Featured Special Report
Claim Your Free Copy of Recordkeeping for EHS Managers

One of the most tedious aspects of an EHS manager’s job is to keep track of a host of records. Laws have been passed in every jurisdiction requiring facilities to produce and retain records of various kinds. Don’t get caught without the necessary records in the event of a surprise EPA or OSHA inspection! This special report shows EHS managers at a glance the records they must keep on hand and for how long.

Download Now!

This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard.

Also included are 3 useful tables which provide:
  • A summary listing of federal environmental recordkeeping requirements
  • A list of federal safety recordkeeping requirements.
  • A list of federal recordkeeping requirements for DOT and the Department of Homeland Security as they apply to hazardous material transporters and chemical facilities.
Download Now!