Oregon Ag Waste: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Water and wastewater permits: Oregon Administrative Rules (OAR) 340-045-0005 to 340-045-0080

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs): OAR 603-074-0005 to 603-074-0080

Permit fees: OAR 603-074-0020

Agricultural water quality management program (AWQMP): OAR 603-090 and OAR 603-095

Regulatory Agencies

Oregon Department of Agriculture (ODA) Natural Resources Division

Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Water Quality Division

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 10

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Oregon is authorized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to administer the federal National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program for wastewater discharges, including permitting authority for concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs). The state uses both the federal definition of CAFOs and includes additional facilities and operations in its definition. See the national section AG WASTE for more information on the federal permitting program.

In Oregon, NPDES permits are required for facilities that discharge pollutants to surface waters and include both state and federal requirements.

Administration and enforcement. In Oregon, ODA's Natural Resources Division has primary responsibility for administering the state's wastewater permitting program for CAFOs.

State Requirements


To obtain more information about discharges from an outlet or point source, see the state section NPDES PERMIT. Oregon also regulates agricultural operations when they use or store pesticides or ...

>> Read more about Ag Waste

State Requirements

National | Alabama | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | North Carolina | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin |

Oregon Ag Waste Resources

Ag Waste Products

Free Special Reports
Get Your FREE Special Report. Download Any One Of These FREE Special Reports, Instantly!
Featured Special Report
Claim Your Free Copy of Recordkeeping for EHS Managers

One of the most tedious aspects of an EHS manager’s job is to keep track of a host of records. Laws have been passed in every jurisdiction requiring facilities to produce and retain records of various kinds. Don’t get caught without the necessary records in the event of a surprise EPA or OSHA inspection! This special report shows EHS managers at a glance the records they must keep on hand and for how long.

Download Now!

This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard.

Also included are 3 useful tables which provide:
  • A summary listing of federal environmental recordkeeping requirements
  • A list of federal safety recordkeeping requirements.
  • A list of federal recordkeeping requirements for DOT and the Department of Homeland Security as they apply to hazardous material transporters and chemical facilities.
Download Now!