South Carolina Ag Waste: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Standards for the permitting of agricultural animal facilities: South Carolina Code of Regulations (R.) 61-43.100.10 to 61-43.500.60

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits: R. 61-9.122.21 to 122.23

Animal facilities: R. 61-43.200.10

Permits and compliance: R. 61-43.200.20

Permit applications: R. 61-43.200.50

Animal manure treatment: R. 61-43.200.90

Setback requirements: R. 61-43.200.80

Swine facilities: R. 61-43.100.10

Associated regulations to swine facilities: R. 61-43.100.40

Large swine facilities: R. 61-43.100.20

Operator training:

Animal facility operator: R. 61-43.200.190

Swine facility operator: R. 61-43.100.190

Manure brokers: R. 61-43.400.10

Broker permits: R. 61-43.400.40

Integrators: R. 61-43.500.10

Submittal requirements: R. 61-43.500.20

Registration certificate: R. 61-43.500.30

Alternative technology: R. 61-43.300.10

Right to farm: South Carolina Code Annotated (S.C. Code Ann.) 46-45-10 to 46-45-80

Regulatory Agencies

South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) Office of Environmental Quality Control Bureau of Water

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 4

U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. South Carolina is authorized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to issue permits for concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) under the federal National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program. With this authority, the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control's (DHEC) Bureau of Water ...

>> Read more about Ag Waste

More on this topic:

Governing Law and Regulations
Regulatory Agencies
Comparison: State vs. Federal
State Requirements
Additional Guidance

State Requirements

National | Alabama | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | North Carolina | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin |

South Carolina Ag Waste Resources

Ag Waste Products

Free Special Reports
Get Your FREE Special Report. Download Any One Of These FREE Special Reports, Instantly!
Featured Special Report
Claim Your Free Copy of Recordkeeping for EHS Managers

One of the most tedious aspects of an EHS manager’s job is to keep track of a host of records. Laws have been passed in every jurisdiction requiring facilities to produce and retain records of various kinds. Don’t get caught without the necessary records in the event of a surprise EPA or OSHA inspection! This special report shows EHS managers at a glance the records they must keep on hand and for how long.

Download Now!

This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard.

Also included are 3 useful tables which provide:
  • A summary listing of federal environmental recordkeeping requirements
  • A list of federal safety recordkeeping requirements.
  • A list of federal recordkeeping requirements for DOT and the Department of Homeland Security as they apply to hazardous material transporters and chemical facilities.
Download Now!