Washington Ag Waste: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits: Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 173-220-010 to 173-220-240

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

State waste discharge permit program: WAC 173-216-010 to 173-216-150

Washington Water Pollution Control Act, Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 90.48

General permits: WAC 173-226-010 to 173-226-250

Washington Dairy Nutrient Management Act, RCW 90.64.05 to 90.64.900

NPDES applicability: RCW 90.64.020 and RCW 90.64.010

Dairy nutrient management: RCW 90.64.005

Registration requirements: RCW 90.64.017

Nutrient management plans (NMPs): RCW 90.64.026

Facility inspections: RCW 90.64.023

Recordkeeping: WAC 16-611-020

Penalties: WAC 16-611-200 and WAC 16-611-300

Public livestock market license: RCW 16.65.360

Regulatory Agencies

Washington Department of Ecology (WDOE) Water Quality Program

Washington Department of Agriculture (WDA)

Local conservation commissions and districts

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 10

U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Washington is currently authorized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to administer the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program for discharges to state surface waters, including those from concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs). For more information about the federal CAFO permitting program, see the national section AG WASTE.

Washington's wastewater discharge permit rules predate the federal NPDES program. As a result, some facilities are required to obtain both NPDES ...

>> Read more about Ag Waste

More on this topic:

Governing Law and Regulations
Regulatory Agencies
Comparison: State vs. Federal
State Requirements

State Requirements

National | Alabama | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | North Carolina | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin |

Washington Ag Waste Resources

Ag Waste Products

Free Special Reports
Get Your FREE Special Report. Download Any One Of These FREE Special Reports, Instantly!
Featured Special Report
Claim Your Free Copy of Recordkeeping for EHS Managers

One of the most tedious aspects of an EHS manager’s job is to keep track of a host of records. Laws have been passed in every jurisdiction requiring facilities to produce and retain records of various kinds. Don’t get caught without the necessary records in the event of a surprise EPA or OSHA inspection! This special report shows EHS managers at a glance the records they must keep on hand and for how long.

Download Now!

This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard.

Also included are 3 useful tables which provide:
  • A summary listing of federal environmental recordkeeping requirements
  • A list of federal safety recordkeeping requirements.
  • A list of federal recordkeeping requirements for DOT and the Department of Homeland Security as they apply to hazardous material transporters and chemical facilities.
Download Now!