West Virginia Ag Waste: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Program: West Virginia Regulations (WV Reg.) 47-10-1 to 47-10-18 and Appendices A to C

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) permits: WV Reg. 47-10-13

Best management practices (BMPs) for point sources: WV Reg. 61-22B-3

Nutrient management certification: WV Reg. 61-6D-1 to 61-6D-8

Regulatory Agencies

West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Division of Water and Waste Management Water Permitting Section

West Virginia Department of Agriculture (WVDA)

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 3

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. West Virginia is authorized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to administer the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program for the discharge of pollutants from a point source into waters of the state. Under this program, West Virginia issues permits to certain animal feeding operations. See the national section AG WASTE for more information on the federal concentrated animal feeding operation (CAFO) permitting program

Persons who prepare and update nutrient management plans (NMPs) must be certified by the state.

In addition, the state also has rules to protect the groundwater from contamination by operations that handle or process fertilizer and manure. See the state section GROUNDWATER for more information on groundwater regulation in the state.

Administration and enforcement. DEP's Water Permitting Section administers and enforces the NPDES permit program in West Virginia for CAFOs. The WVDA ...

>> Read more about Ag Waste

State Requirements

National | Alabama | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | North Carolina | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin |

West Virginia Ag Waste Resources

Ag Waste Products

Free Special Reports
Get Your FREE Special Report. Download Any One Of These FREE Special Reports, Instantly!
Featured Special Report
Claim Your Free Copy of Recordkeeping for EHS Managers

One of the most tedious aspects of an EHS manager’s job is to keep track of a host of records. Laws have been passed in every jurisdiction requiring facilities to produce and retain records of various kinds. Don’t get caught without the necessary records in the event of a surprise EPA or OSHA inspection! This special report shows EHS managers at a glance the records they must keep on hand and for how long.

Download Now!

This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard.

Also included are 3 useful tables which provide:
  • A summary listing of federal environmental recordkeeping requirements
  • A list of federal safety recordkeeping requirements.
  • A list of federal recordkeeping requirements for DOT and the Department of Homeland Security as they apply to hazardous material transporters and chemical facilities.
Download Now!