Wisconsin Ag Waste: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permits: Wisconsin Administrative Code, Department of Natural Resources (NR) 200.01 to 203.20

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Animal feeding operations (AFOs): NR 243.01 to 243.26

Livestock permits: NR 243.11

Permit applications: NR 243.12

Wisconsin Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (WPDES) permits for large concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs): NR 243.13

Nutrient management plans (NMPs): NR 243.14

Siting of new facilities: Wisconsin Administrative Code, Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (ATCP) 51

Runoff management: NR 151.01

Erosion: NR 151.02

Manure storage facilities: NR 151.05

Clean water diversion performance standard: NR 151.06

Prohibitions: NR 151.08

Variances: NR 151.097

Regulatory Agencies

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Division of Water Bureau of Watershed Management

Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (ATCP) Livestock Division

U.S. Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS)

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 5

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Wisconsin is fully authorized by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to administer the federal National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program. NPDES permits regulate point source discharges of pollutants to waters of the state. The state defines "point source" to include concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs). Wisconsin generally follows the federal rules relating to animal feeding operation (AFO) and CAFO permits. See the ...

>> Read more about Ag Waste

More on this topic:

Governing Law and Regulations
Regulatory Agencies
Comparison: State vs. Federal
State Requirements

State Requirements

National | Alabama | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | North Carolina | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin |

Wisconsin Ag Waste Resources

Ag Waste Products

Free Special Reports
Get Your FREE Special Report. Download Any One Of These FREE Special Reports, Instantly!
Featured Special Report
Claim Your Free Copy of Recordkeeping for EHS Managers

One of the most tedious aspects of an EHS manager’s job is to keep track of a host of records. Laws have been passed in every jurisdiction requiring facilities to produce and retain records of various kinds. Don’t get caught without the necessary records in the event of a surprise EPA or OSHA inspection! This special report shows EHS managers at a glance the records they must keep on hand and for how long.

Download Now!

This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard.

Also included are 3 useful tables which provide:
  • A summary listing of federal environmental recordkeeping requirements
  • A list of federal safety recordkeeping requirements.
  • A list of federal recordkeeping requirements for DOT and the Department of Homeland Security as they apply to hazardous material transporters and chemical facilities.
Download Now!