Oklahoma Underground Injection Wells: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Hazardous waste underground injection well permit-by-rule standards: Oklahoma Administrative Code (OAC) 252:205-3-2

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Rules for Class I, Class III, and Class V underground injection wells: OAC 252:652

Class I wells:

Siting criteria: OAC 252:652-3-1

Permit applications: OAC 252:652-5-1

Well construction requirements: OAC 252:652-7-1

Facility operating standards: OAC 252:652-9-1

Fees: OAC 252:652-1-6

Class II wells: OAC 165:10-5-1 to 165:10-5-15

Carbon sequestration: OAC 155:30-1-1 to 155:30-13-5

Regulatory Agencies

Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Land Protection Division

Oklahoma Corporation Commission (OCC) Oil and Gas Division Underground Injection Control (UIC) Department

Oklahoma Conservation Commission

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. As under the federal rules, Oklahoma prohibits the construction, installation, or operation of Class IV wells. Although the Oklahoma regulations allow hazardous waste to be injected into underground Class I wells, currently the state has no Class I wells permitted to dispose of hazardous waste.

Oklahoma has adopted the federal permit-by-rule option for underground injection wells. Wells that meet the permit-by-rule requirements (including the requirement that the facility have an underground injection well permit under the federal Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA)) are deemed to have a hazardous waste disposal facility permit; they do not have to apply for one. In addition, Oklahoma requires facilities disposing of waste in Class I, Class III, or Class V injection wells in Oklahoma to pay various state fees.

>> Read more about Underground Injection Wells

State Requirements

National | Alabama | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | Florida | Georgia | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | North Carolina | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | South Carolina | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin |

Oklahoma Underground Injection Wells Resources

Underground Injection Wells Products

Free Special Reports
Get Your FREE Special Report. Download Any One Of These FREE Special Reports, Instantly!
Featured Special Report
Claim Your Free Copy of Recordkeeping for EHS Managers

One of the most tedious aspects of an EHS manager’s job is to keep track of a host of records. Laws have been passed in every jurisdiction requiring facilities to produce and retain records of various kinds. Don’t get caught without the necessary records in the event of a surprise EPA or OSHA inspection! This special report shows EHS managers at a glance the records they must keep on hand and for how long.

Download Now!

This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA’s Hazard Communication Standard.

Also included are 3 useful tables which provide:
  • A summary listing of federal environmental recordkeeping requirements
  • A list of federal safety recordkeeping requirements.
  • A list of federal recordkeeping requirements for DOT and the Department of Homeland Security as they apply to hazardous material transporters and chemical facilities.
Download Now!