Governing Law and Regulations
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA)
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 5
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. Minnesota has adopted the federal rules for wastewater and FDF variances, with specific provisions for variance application, amendment, modification, and suspension, in addition to EPA requirements. For additional guidance, see the national section WASTEWATER VARIANCES.
• Administration and enforcement. MPCA administers and enforces wastewater variance rules for both large and small facilities in Minnesota.
MPCA, at its discretion, may grant a variance of the state effluent standards. To obtain a variance, a discharger is required to submit a written application for a variance to MPCA.
The written application must contain:
- The name and address of the applicant and the person who prepared the application.
- The signature of the applicant or authorized representative.
- A description, including the location, of the business, plant, system, or facility for which a variance is sought.
- The nature of the variance, including identification of the applicable state rules or standards, the period of time for which the variance is requested, and the reasons the applicant is requesting the variance.
- Financial statements prepared or approved by a certified public accountant, or other person acceptable ...