Repayment of loans can be assigned and deducted from an employee's wages under these conditions (MA Gen. Laws Ch. 154 Sec. 2 through Sec. 5):
• The amount assigned may be not more than 25 percent of the employee's weekly earnings.
• The assignment may not last for more than 2 years.
If the loan is for $3,000 or more:
• The debt must be secured at the time or before the time of assignment.
• The assignment must be executed in writing and signed by the employee, with date of execution, and rate of interest.
• The employer must receive a written consent of the assignor's spouse as well.
If the loan is for an amount under $3,000, the assignment rules are the same, with the following additions:
• The assignment must be filed with the city or town clerk.
• The amount assigned may not amount to more than $10 a week.
• The assignment may not last for more than 1 year.