Several occupations and industries are exempt from New Hampshire's minimum wage provisions, including (NH Rev. Stat. Sec. 279:21):
• Household or domestic help
• Children working for their parents, grandparents, or guardians
• Employees of children's summer camps
• Nonprofessional ski patrol personnel
• Independent contractors who meet specific state law requirements
The labor commissioner may issue special certificates allowing employment at wages below the minimum as follows:
• Workers under the age of 16 may receive no less than 75 percent of minimum wage.
• Workers with less than 6 months of experience in an occupation may be paid 75 percent of minimum wage, provided the employer has filed an application with the labor commissioner within the first 10 days of employment.
• Students in work-study programs.
• Workers whose earning capacity is impaired by age, physical, or mental deficiency.