Through its Commuter Resource RI program, cosponsored with the Rhode Island Department of Transportation, RIPTA offers a variety of commuting resources to assist employees with their commuting, including:
• Carpooling/Vanpooling. The NuLink carpool program matches up people with similar commuting needs. RIPTA also offers high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes and reduced parking fees for rideshare vehicles.
• Discounted parking in Providence.
• Park N' Ride. Strategically located lots provide free parking for carpooling; maps are available.
• Bicycling. RIPTA buses are equipped with bike racks if the weather is inclement for the journey home.
• Guaranteed-ride-home promise. Rideshare participants are guaranteed a ride home if they need to leave work because of unforeseen circumstances.
RIPTA's Eco-Pass program allows employers to offer employees reduced-cost transportation benefits, including the Eco-Pass, under the federal qualified transportation fringe benefit free from payroll taxes. Employers pay only for rides taken, and RIPTA provides employers with detailed ridership billing reports. The program cuts the need for expensive employer-provided parking spaces.
Employers of 50 or more persons that provide a parking subsidy to employees and are located within a quarter mile of a public transit service can offer a "parking cash-out program" under which ...