Following the death of an employee, managers have responsibilities to the company and to the deceased employee's coworkers. While the business must continue to function, managers must be sensitive to the pain of loss felt by employees. The following tips may be helpful in dealing with the death of an employee:
• Allow employees sufficient time to attend funeral services, without pressure or guilt.
• Expect some employees to have difficulty with concentration, and to express confusion and anger.
• Have some flexibility when distributing work assignments to allow for emotions that may interfere with productivity.
• Respect the grieving person's wishes and listen compassionately.
• Consider having a grief counselor available for employees and offer employee assistance program services.