State employees have certain enumerated political rights. State law provides that they may (AK Stat. Sec. 39.25.178):
• Be members of political parties.
• Take part in political campaigns.
• Express political opinions (however, they cannot display or distribute partisan political material while on official business).
• Register a party preference.
• Serve as a voting or nonvoting delegate to a party convention.
• Be appointed, nominated, or elected to a nonpartisan public office in a local government unit.
• Make contributions to a political party or candidate for public office.