North Dakota Fire Prevention: What you need to know
North Dakota has no specific law or regulation requiring employers to conduct fire drills. However, federal Occupational Safety and Health Act(OSH Act) standards, which govern work safety in North Dakota, require that companies with 10 or more employees have written fire prevention and emergency exit plans for each workplace. To ensure that the exit plan can be executed properly in an actual emergency, it is advisable to rehearse periodically with annual or semiannual drills. Employers with fewer than 10 employees may communicate the plans orally.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires an emergency action plan to include:
- Designated monitors or guides to ensure orderly exit during emergencies
- Emergency escape procedures and escape route assignments
- Procedures for employees who must stay behind to maintain or terminate critical operations before evacuation
- Procedures for counting heads after evacuation is complete
- Rescue and medical duties for those assigned to perform them
- Reporting procedures
- A list of names and job titles of employees who can dispense information about the emergency action plan
- An alarm system
- The use of floor plans or workplace maps that clearly show the emergency escape routes
- The designation of refuge or safe areas for evacuation (i.e., parking lots or open fields away from the emergency)
Although OSHA does not require the following elements, they are crucial to an effective workplace plan:
- Posting emergency evacuation plans (illustrated if possible).
- Distributing emergency evacuation plans.
- Regularly practicing use of the evacuation routes (at least twice a year).
- Periodically checking for proper functioning of alarm systems, fire ...
>> Read more about Fire Prevention
More on this topic:
District of Columbia |
New Hampshire |
New Jersey |
New Mexico |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Rhode Island |
South Carolina |
South Dakota |
West Virginia |
North Dakota Fire Prevention Resources
Fire Prevention Products
Safety.BLR.com - Making Safety Training and Compliance Easier
Safety training and compliance just got easier. You get easy access to hundreds of training solutions, easy-to-understand regulatory analysis, analysis of federal and state full-text regs, regulatory activity, news, and best practices. Safety.BLR.com - your online safety solution."
Safety Training Presentations in PowerPoint
Complete PowerPoint training meetings make it easy to deliver OSHA required safety training. These 25 ready-to-deliver meetings give you effective toolbox training – no preparation required! Includes meeting outlines, customizable PowerPoint slides many with AUDIO
, handouts, and quizzes."
OSHA Training System - Safety Training
Here's a coordinated, multi-media training program that delivers everything you need to conduct your required OSHA training. In one package you get 32 prewritten safety outlines, 64 reproducible handouts, plus many of the sessions include BLR safety booklets that go along with the meeting outlines. Two part training is effective, easy, and long-lasting."
Essential Safety Policies
BLR's Essential Safety Policies is an authoritative source of guidance and information to which managers and supervisors can turn not only in situations where the "right" course of action is unclear, but also in cases where they are tempted to act on memory or instinct.
Audio Click 'n Train: Emergency Action and Fire Prevention
Complete Audio PowerPoint training meeting makes it easy to deliver Emergency Action and Fire Prevention training. This ready-to-deliver meeting gives you effective toolbox training - no preparation required! Includes meeting outlines, customizable PowerPoint slides, handouts, and quizzes."