Florida Asbestos : What you need to know
Comparison: State vs. Federal
· Rules. Florida has adopted the federal asbestos NESHAP. For details, see the national section ASBESTOS. In addition, the state charges asbestos removal fees and requires licensing of asbestos consultants, contractors, and business organizations.
Florida does not have a federally approved occupational safety and health plan; therefore, federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration rules are in effect.
· Administration and enforcement. DEP is responsible for enforcing the federal NESHAP standards. DBPR and DLES are responsible for licensing asbestos consultants, contractors, and business organizations.
FS 469.004 to FS 469.014
In Florida, all persons engaged in asbestos-related projects must be licensed or trained before working on any asbestos project. Licenses are issued to asbestos consultants, asbestos contractors, and asbestos business organizations.
Asbestos consultants. An asbestos consultant conducts surveys for asbestos-containing materials (ACM), develops operation and maintenance plans, monitors and evaluates asbestos abatement, and/or prepares asbestos abatement specifications. An asbestos consultant's license may be issued only to an applicant who:
- Holds a current, valid, active license as an architect;
- Holds a current, valid, active license as a professional engineer;
- Holds a current, valid, active license as a professional geologist;
- Is a diplomat of the American Board of Industrial Hygiene; or
- Has been awarded designation as a Certified Safety Professional by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals.
All applicants for an asbestos consultant's license must:
- Pay the initial licensing fee.
- Successfully complete the ...
>> Read more about Asbestos
New Hampshire |
New Jersey |
New Mexico |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Rhode Island |
South Carolina |
South Dakota |
West Virginia |
Florida Asbestos Resources
Asbestos Threat—Spanish Training Video
Defines asbestos and where it can be found. Explains how to reduce exposure to this cancer-causing substance. -Spanish Edition"
Safety.BLR.com - Making Safety Training and Compliance Easier
Safety training and compliance just got easier. You get easy access to hundreds of training solutions, easy-to-understand regulatory analysis, analysis of federal and state full-text regs, regulatory activity, news, and best practices. Safety.BLR.com - your online safety solution."
Enviro.BLR.com is the online tool that makes state environmental compliance management a whole lot easier. Get plain-English state and federal regulatory analysis, 1000's of compliance checklists, forms and other tools, plus daily regulatory updates. "
Environmental Compliance in [Your State]
Avoid difficult state compliance problems. Here is all the plain-English help you need to stay in compliance with the environmental laws in your state. Arranged by topic, this easy to use resource explains how to comply with state regulations, and highlights any differences from federal. Includes regular updates and monthly newsletter."
OSHA Training System - Safety Training
Here's a coordinated, multi-media training program that delivers everything you need to conduct your required OSHA training. In one package you get 32 prewritten safety outlines, 64 reproducible handouts, plus many of the sessions include BLR safety booklets that go along with the meeting outlines. Two part training is effective, easy, and long-lasting."