Iowa Asbestos : What you need to know
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. Iowa's asbestos practices are generally governed by federal law. The state adopted federal OSHA worker protection standards and the asbestos NESHAP requirements. The state has additional rules governing asbestos abatement activities, permitting, licensing, and recordkeeping.
• Administration and enforcement. Iowa Workforce Development's LSD administers and enforces the Iowa Occupational Safety and Health requirements and the state requirements concerning permitting and licensing. DNR is responsible for overseeing NESHAP and waste disposal requirements.
Business permits. Iowa requires businesses that engage in asbestos projects to hold a state abatement permit. The permit is valid for 1 year and must be renewed annually thereafter for a fee of $500. Businesses that use their own employees to remove or encapsulate asbestos at one of their own facilities are exempt from permitting requirements, provided adequate training has been provided.
To apply for a permit, a business must submit a completed form provided by LSD, which is available here.
Application. All persons seeking an asbestos license must submit the following to LSD:
- A completed LSD application form
- The appropriate fee
- A certificate documenting that the applicant has received the proper training
- Two photographs, 1 inch by 1 inch, clearly showing the applicant's face
Only applicants for a worker license or a supervisor/contractor license must complete the second and third pages of the application that require the following:
- A certificate and declaration from a physician that an examination, following the federal OSHA guidelines, was ...
>> Read more about Asbestos
New Hampshire |
New Jersey |
New Mexico |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Rhode Island |
South Carolina |
South Dakota |
West Virginia |
Iowa Asbestos Resources
Asbestos Threat—Spanish Training Video
Defines asbestos and where it can be found. Explains how to reduce exposure to this cancer-causing substance. -Spanish Edition"
Safety.BLR.com - Making Safety Training and Compliance Easier
Safety training and compliance just got easier. You get easy access to hundreds of training solutions, easy-to-understand regulatory analysis, analysis of federal and state full-text regs, regulatory activity, news, and best practices. Safety.BLR.com - your online safety solution."
Enviro.BLR.com is the online tool that makes state environmental compliance management a whole lot easier. Get plain-English state and federal regulatory analysis, 1000's of compliance checklists, forms and other tools, plus daily regulatory updates. "
Environmental Compliance in [Your State]
Avoid difficult state compliance problems. Here is all the plain-English help you need to stay in compliance with the environmental laws in your state. Arranged by topic, this easy to use resource explains how to comply with state regulations, and highlights any differences from federal. Includes regular updates and monthly newsletter."
OSHA Training System - Safety Training
Here's a coordinated, multi-media training program that delivers everything you need to conduct your required OSHA training. In one package you get 32 prewritten safety outlines, 64 reproducible handouts, plus many of the sessions include BLR safety booklets that go along with the meeting outlines. Two part training is effective, easy, and long-lasting."