Pennsylvania ADA: What you need to know
The Pennsylvania Human Relations Act prohibits employment practices that discriminate against individuals or independent contractors on the basis of non-job-related handicap or disability, or the use of a guide or support animal because of blindness, deafness, or physical handicap of any individual or independent contractor, unless the practice is based on a bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ) exception. The Act covers all public employers and private employers with four or more employees (PA Stat. Tit. 43 Sec. 951et seq.). Under the Act, it is unlawful for an employer to:
- Refuse to hire, employ, or contract with, or to bar or discharge an individual or independent contractor on the basis of handicap or disability, if the individual or contractor is "the best able and most competent" to perform the services required.
- Elicit any information, make or keep a record, or use an application form to inquire about a past handicap, disability, or use of a support animal.
- Print or publish a job advertisement indicating any preference, limitation, specification, or discrimination based on handicap, disability, or use of a support animal.
- Deny employment because of a prior handicap or disability.
- Discriminate against an individual who has opposed an unlawful discriminatory practice, made a charge, or testified or assisted in any investigation, proceeding, or hearing under the Act.
- Attempt to commit an unlawful discriminatory act, or to aid, abet, compel, or coerce anyone to commit an unlawful discriminatory act, or to obstruct or prevent compliance with the Act or a commission order.
- Exclude or otherwise deny equal jobs or benefits to a person because he or she is known to have an association or ...
>> Read more about ADA
More on this topic:
Alcohol and Drugs
District of Columbia |
New Hampshire |
New Jersey |
New Mexico |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Rhode Island |
South Carolina |
South Dakota |
West Virginia |
Pennsylvania ADA Resources
HR Redi2Use Form: Military Leave of Absence
This is your answer to document employee leave requests. A proven, prewritten form that covers specific policy situation exactly when you need it.
Audio Click 'n Train: ADA - What Supervisors Need to Know
This movie-like version of the powerpoint presentation with audio makes it easy to deliver ADA training to supervisors. This ready-to-deliver meeting gives you effective toolbox training - no preparation required! Includes meeting outlines, customizable PowerPoint® slides, handouts, quiz, trainer's guide and more!"
HR.BLR.com - Online State and National HR Employment Law Answers
HR.BLR.com is your online answer source for state HR compliance issues. The easy-to-use Library gives you plain-English compliance answers on all key state and federal regulations. Hundreds of downloadable job descriptions, forms and tools make your job easier. Call 1 800 454-0404 for a free personal site tour. "
Safety.BLR.com - Making Safety Training and Compliance Easier
Safety training and compliance just got easier. You get easy access to hundreds of training solutions, easy-to-understand regulatory analysis, analysis of federal and state full-text regs, regulatory activity, news, and best practices. Safety.BLR.com - your online safety solution."
What to Do About Personnel Problems in [Your State]
Understand how to comply with all HR regulations in YOUR state with this practical resource. You get plain-English explanations of state laws on over 200 key personnel topics. Includes comparisons of your state HR laws vs. federal. No wonder our customers call this service "THE HR RED BOOK™". Subscription includes online companion site with links/news! Book available either in print or on CD!