West Virginia ADA: What you need to know
The West Virginia Human Rights Act (WVHRA) prohibits discrimination in employment if an employee or applicant with a disability or blindness is able and competent to perform the services required (WV Code Sec. 5-11-1 et seq.). The Act covers private employers with 12 or more employees within the state for 20 or more calendar weeks in the calendar year or the preceding calendar year and all state and local government agencies, regardless of size. Prohibited Practices
Under the Act, it is unlawful for an employer to discriminate against any qualified individual with a disability in the areas of:
- Recruitment, advertising, and processing applications
- Hiring, promotions, demotion, transfer, layoff, termination, rehiring, and award of tenure
- Pay rates or any other form of compensation
- Job assignments, job classifications, organizational structures, position description, lines of progression, and seniority lists
- Leaves of absence, sick leave, or any other leave
- Fringe benefits, such as medical, hospital, accident, disability, life insurance, retirement benefits, unemployment benefits, and profit-sharing and bonus plan
- Selection or financial support for training, including apprenticeship, professional meetings, conferences, and leaves of absence to pursue training
- Employer-sponsored activities, including social or recreational programs
- Any other terms, conditions, or privileges of employment
Bona fide occupational qualification (BFOQ) exception. The Act provides an exception when discrimination is based on a BFOQ. According to guidelines issued by the state's Human Rights Commission, a BFOQ is very narrowly interpreted, and an employer must prove that all or virtually all persons with a particular disability would be unable ...
>> Read more about ADA
More on this topic:
District of Columbia |
New Hampshire |
New Jersey |
New Mexico |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Rhode Island |
South Carolina |
South Dakota |
West Virginia |
West Virginia ADA Resources
HR Redi2Use Form: Military Leave of Absence
This is your answer to document employee leave requests. A proven, prewritten form that covers specific policy situation exactly when you need it.
Audio Click 'n Train: ADA - What Supervisors Need to Know
This movie-like version of the powerpoint presentation with audio makes it easy to deliver ADA training to supervisors. This ready-to-deliver meeting gives you effective toolbox training - no preparation required! Includes meeting outlines, customizable PowerPoint® slides, handouts, quiz, trainer's guide and more!"
HR.BLR.com - Online State and National HR Employment Law Answers
HR.BLR.com is your online answer source for state HR compliance issues. The easy-to-use Library gives you plain-English compliance answers on all key state and federal regulations. Hundreds of downloadable job descriptions, forms and tools make your job easier. Call 1 800 454-0404 for a free personal site tour. "
Safety.BLR.com - Making Safety Training and Compliance Easier
Safety training and compliance just got easier. You get easy access to hundreds of training solutions, easy-to-understand regulatory analysis, analysis of federal and state full-text regs, regulatory activity, news, and best practices. Safety.BLR.com - your online safety solution."
What to Do About Personnel Problems in [Your State]
Understand how to comply with all HR regulations in YOUR state with this practical resource. You get plain-English explanations of state laws on over 200 key personnel topics. Includes comparisons of your state HR laws vs. federal. No wonder our customers call this service "THE HR RED BOOK™". Subscription includes online companion site with links/news! Book available either in print or on CD!