Florida Workers' Compensation: What you need to know
All Florida employers in the construction industry and employers of 4 or more workers in other industries, as well as state and local governments, must provide employees with workers' compensation coverage. The only exceptions are the following types of workers:
- Casual labor that is performed outside the usual course of the employer's business on work lasting 10 or fewer days and paying less than a total of $500
- Domestic servants in private homes
- Professional athletes
- Farm laborers of employers with 5 or fewer regular employees and fewer than 12 other employees at one time for seasonal labor that is completed in less than 30 days, and no more than 45 days in the same year
- Independent contractors as defined by state statute
- Band, orchestra, musical, and theatrical performers
- Freelance cab drivers
- Real estate agents paid by commission
- Volunteers who receive no compensation other than reimbursement for expenses
- Sports officials for interscholastic sports events, or for amateur sports events sponsored by a public entity or private, nonprofit organization
- Community service ordered by the court
- Prisoners, except those performing services for private employers
Sole proprietors and partners may elect to be covered. Corporate officers may elect not to be covered. An officer must be a shareholder, owning at least 10 percent of the stock of the corporation, and must be listed as an officer of the corporation with the Division of Corporations of the Department of State in order to elect an exemption. No more than three officers of a corporation that is actively engaged in the construction industry may elect to be exempt; however, any exemption obtained by a corporate officer, sole proprietor, or partner that is actively engaged ...
>> Read more about Workers' Compensation
More on this topic:
Who Is Covered?
What Is Covered?
District of Columbia |
New Hampshire |
New Jersey |
New Mexico |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Rhode Island |
South Carolina |
South Dakota |
West Virginia |
Florida Workers' Compensation Resources
Workers' Compensation Products
Compensation.BLR.com will help you price jobs competitively and comply with FLSA and wage and hour laws in your state. Get reliable salary data in seconds, along with the answers to complex state overtime compliance questions in one easy to use website. Get a VIP tour - call 1 800 454-0404"
Employee Compensation in [Your State]
This comprehensive resource solves your two biggest headaches in employee compensation. It gives you wage and hour law explanations and comparisons between state and federal. Saves you time and worry, makes sure you pay competitively.
Subscription includes online companion site. "
Safety.BLR.com - Making Safety Training and Compliance Easier
Safety training and compliance just got easier. You get easy access to hundreds of training solutions, easy-to-understand regulatory analysis, analysis of federal and state full-text regs, regulatory activity, news, and best practices. Safety.BLR.com - your online safety solution."
Audio Click 'n Train: Workers' Compensation - What Supervisors Need to Know
This movie-like version of the powerpoint presentation with audio makes it easy to deliver workers' compensation training to your supervisors. This ready-to-deliver meeting gives you effective toolbox training - no preparation required! Includes meeting outlines, customizable PowerPoint® slides, handouts, quiz, trainer's guide and more!"
Click 'n Train: Workers' Compensation - What Supervisors Need to Know
Complete PowerPoint® training meeting made easy to deliver workers' compensation training to your supervisors. This ready-to-deliver meeting gives you effective toolbox training – no preparation required! Includes meeting outlines, customizable PowerPoint slides, handouts, and quizzes."