Iowa Workers' Compensation: What you need to know
Under Iowa's workers' compensation law (IA Code Sec. 85.1et seq.) virtually all employees must be covered by workers' compensation insurance. The only exceptions are the following types of workers:
- Domestic and casual employees who earn less than $1,500 from their employer during the 12 consecutive months before the injury
- Agricultural employees whose employer has a payroll of less than $2,500 in the calendar year preceding the injury
- Sole proprietors in the field of agriculture, officers of family farm corporations, and close relatives of such proprietors and officers
- Police officers and firefighters who are entitled to benefits under a pension fund established under state law
- The top four officers of any corporation (other than a family farm), but only if they elect to waive coverage by completing a prescribed form
- Employees with physical defects that increase the risk of injury, but only if they agree to waive coverage for injuries caused by the defect and only with the approval of the state industrial commissioner
Employers may elect to provide coverage for workers in any of the exempt categories by purchasing a valid workers' compensation policy covering them. A partner in a limited liability company may elect coverage.
Workers' compensation is a "no-fault" system. Since it makes no difference who was at fault for an accident or injury, employees do not have to prove that the employer's negligence caused it. To be compensable under workers' compensation, the injury need only be accidental and sustained in the course of employment. However, there are a few key exceptions:
Willful acts of the employee. There is no compensation for injuries caused by the worker's willful intent to injure himself ...
>> Read more about Workers' Compensation
More on this topic:
Who Is Covered?
What Is Covered?
Preexisting Conditions/Second Injuries
Safety Plans and Safety Committees
Posting of Notice
Violations and Penalties
District of Columbia |
New Hampshire |
New Jersey |
New Mexico |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Rhode Island |
South Carolina |
South Dakota |
West Virginia |
Iowa Workers' Compensation Resources
Workers' Compensation Products
Compensation.BLR.com will help you price jobs competitively and comply with FLSA and wage and hour laws in your state. Get reliable salary data in seconds, along with the answers to complex state overtime compliance questions in one easy to use website. Get a VIP tour - call 1 800 454-0404"
Employee Compensation in [Your State]
This comprehensive resource solves your two biggest headaches in employee compensation. It gives you wage and hour law explanations and comparisons between state and federal. Saves you time and worry, makes sure you pay competitively.
Subscription includes online companion site. "
Safety.BLR.com - Making Safety Training and Compliance Easier
Safety training and compliance just got easier. You get easy access to hundreds of training solutions, easy-to-understand regulatory analysis, analysis of federal and state full-text regs, regulatory activity, news, and best practices. Safety.BLR.com - your online safety solution."
Audio Click 'n Train: Workers' Compensation - What Supervisors Need to Know
This movie-like version of the powerpoint presentation with audio makes it easy to deliver workers' compensation training to your supervisors. This ready-to-deliver meeting gives you effective toolbox training - no preparation required! Includes meeting outlines, customizable PowerPoint® slides, handouts, quiz, trainer's guide and more!"
Click 'n Train: Workers' Compensation - What Supervisors Need to Know
Complete PowerPoint® training meeting made easy to deliver workers' compensation training to your supervisors. This ready-to-deliver meeting gives you effective toolbox training – no preparation required! Includes meeting outlines, customizable PowerPoint slides, handouts, and quizzes."