Louisiana Workers' Compensation: What you need to know
Under Louisiana's workers' compensation law (LA Rev. Stat. Sec. 23:1001et seq.), virtually all employees must be covered by workers' compensation insurance. The only exceptions are the following types of workers:
- Airplane crop dusters who are independent contractors (LA Rev. Stat. Sec. 23:1045)
- Farmworkers employed outside the usual course of the employer's business and earning $1,000 or less during the year from an employer whose total farm payroll is less than $2,500 (LA Rev. Stat. Sec. 23:1035)
- Domestic employees or workers in private households if their work does not arise out of their employer's business or trade (LA Rev. Stat. Sec. 23:1035)
- Employees of interstate and foreign common carriers (LA Rev. Stat. Sec. 23:1037)
- Real estate workers and salespeople (LA Rev. Stat. Sec. 23:1047)
- Musicians and performers under a performance contract (LA Rev. Stat. Sec. 23:1035)
- Employees covered by the Federal Employer's Liability Act, the Longshoremen's and Harbor Worker's Compensation Act, or the Jones Act (LA Rev. Stat. Sec. 23:1035.2)
- Uncompensated officers and board members of charitable, educational, religious, social, civic, or fraternal nonprofit organizations (LA Rev. Stat. Sec. 23:1046)
- Any landman rendering services related to the exploration, production, transportation, or development of minerals (LA Rev. Stat. Sec. 23:1048)
There are special rules for the following occupational categories:
Bona fide corporate officers. Presidents, vice presidents, secretaries, and treasurers who own at least 10 percent of a company's stock; partners; and sole proprietors may elect in writing not to be covered.
Employers in the trade or profession of furnishing household or farm help. These employers are liable to their ...
>> Read more about Workers' Compensation
More on this topic:
Who Is Covered?
What Is Covered?
District of Columbia |
New Hampshire |
New Jersey |
New Mexico |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Rhode Island |
South Carolina |
South Dakota |
West Virginia |
Louisiana Workers' Compensation Resources
Workers' Compensation Products
Compensation.BLR.com will help you price jobs competitively and comply with FLSA and wage and hour laws in your state. Get reliable salary data in seconds, along with the answers to complex state overtime compliance questions in one easy to use website. Get a VIP tour - call 1 800 454-0404"
Employee Compensation in [Your State]
This comprehensive resource solves your two biggest headaches in employee compensation. It gives you wage and hour law explanations and comparisons between state and federal. Saves you time and worry, makes sure you pay competitively.
Subscription includes online companion site. "
Safety.BLR.com - Making Safety Training and Compliance Easier
Safety training and compliance just got easier. You get easy access to hundreds of training solutions, easy-to-understand regulatory analysis, analysis of federal and state full-text regs, regulatory activity, news, and best practices. Safety.BLR.com - your online safety solution."
Audio Click 'n Train: Workers' Compensation - What Supervisors Need to Know
This movie-like version of the powerpoint presentation with audio makes it easy to deliver workers' compensation training to your supervisors. This ready-to-deliver meeting gives you effective toolbox training - no preparation required! Includes meeting outlines, customizable PowerPoint® slides, handouts, quiz, trainer's guide and more!"
Click 'n Train: Workers' Compensation - What Supervisors Need to Know
Complete PowerPoint® training meeting made easy to deliver workers' compensation training to your supervisors. This ready-to-deliver meeting gives you effective toolbox training – no preparation required! Includes meeting outlines, customizable PowerPoint slides, handouts, and quizzes."