Maryland Workers' Compensation: What you need to know
Under Maryland's workers' compensation law (MD Lab. and Empl. Code Sec. 9-201 et seq.), virtually all employees must be covered by workers' compensation insurance. Before an employer may be issued a permit or license to employ any individual, the employer must file with the issuing governmental unit:
- A certificate of compliance with the workers' compensation laws; or
- The number of a workers' compensation insurance policy or binder.
The only exceptions to workers' compensation requirements are the following types of workers:
- Agricultural workers that are independent contractors, and supply their own tools and materials and whose employers do not withhold Social Security, unemployment insurance, or state or federal taxes from compensation paid to the worker
- Agricultural employers with fewer than three full-time employees or an annual payroll of less than $15,000 for full-time employees
- Seasonal or migratory laborers who are working within a 25-mile radius of their permanent homes and who do not operate machinery or equipment
- Tractor owners whose equipment is leased by motor carriers, who receive rental fees from the carriers, and who qualify as independent contractors under federal tax laws
- Domestic employees who earn less than $750 in a calendar quarter
- Maintenance workers who are employed for fewer than 30 consecutive workdays around private homes
- Students in unpaid positions that are part of their educational programs; however, unpaid handicapped students and student teachers are covered
- Real estate salespeople and brokers who work only for commissions
Volunteer police, sheriffs, firefighters, rescue squads, civil defense members, and other volunteer workers are covered in most counties.
Students in unpaid, ...
>> Read more about Workers' Compensation
More on this topic:
Who Is Covered?
What Is Covered?
Violations and Penalties
District of Columbia |
New Hampshire |
New Jersey |
New Mexico |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Rhode Island |
South Carolina |
South Dakota |
West Virginia |
Maryland Workers' Compensation Resources
Workers' Compensation Products
Compensation.BLR.com will help you price jobs competitively and comply with FLSA and wage and hour laws in your state. Get reliable salary data in seconds, along with the answers to complex state overtime compliance questions in one easy to use website. Get a VIP tour - call 1 800 454-0404"
Employee Compensation in [Your State]
This comprehensive resource solves your two biggest headaches in employee compensation. It gives you wage and hour law explanations and comparisons between state and federal. Saves you time and worry, makes sure you pay competitively.
Subscription includes online companion site. "
Safety.BLR.com - Making Safety Training and Compliance Easier
Safety training and compliance just got easier. You get easy access to hundreds of training solutions, easy-to-understand regulatory analysis, analysis of federal and state full-text regs, regulatory activity, news, and best practices. Safety.BLR.com - your online safety solution."
Audio Click 'n Train: Workers' Compensation - What Supervisors Need to Know
This movie-like version of the powerpoint presentation with audio makes it easy to deliver workers' compensation training to your supervisors. This ready-to-deliver meeting gives you effective toolbox training - no preparation required! Includes meeting outlines, customizable PowerPoint® slides, handouts, quiz, trainer's guide and more!"
Click 'n Train: Workers' Compensation - What Supervisors Need to Know
Complete PowerPoint® training meeting made easy to deliver workers' compensation training to your supervisors. This ready-to-deliver meeting gives you effective toolbox training – no preparation required! Includes meeting outlines, customizable PowerPoint slides, handouts, and quizzes."