Wisconsin Workers' Compensation: What you need to know
All employers in Wisconsin must cover their workers for workers' compensation insurance. The only exceptions are those in the following categories (WI Gen. Stat. Sec. 102.01 et seq.):
- Employees working for an employer with a quarterly payroll of less than $500 and with three or fewer workers.
- Those working for agricultural employers that employ no more than six people on any 20 days during the year.
- Members of farmers' families, including parents, spouses, children, brothers, sisters, and in-laws working on the family farm.
- Domestic servants (coverage is voluntary).
- Volunteers, including volunteers of nonprofit organizations that receive money or other items of value in the amount of $10 per week or less.
- People whose employment is not in the course of the employer's trade, business, or profession (but people who perform casual or isolated services that are in the course of the employer's business are covered).
- Sole proprietors, members of limited-liability companies, and partners are not automatically covered but may elect coverage for up to two officers in a closely held corporation. Includes participants in community work experience programs.
- An independent contractor is considered an employee of any employer for whom they are working, except when the independent meets certain enumerated conditions.
Workers' compensation is a "no-fault" system. Since it makes no difference who is at fault, employees do not have to prove that the employer's negligence caused the injury. To be compensable under workers' compensation, the injury need only arise out of the employment. The term "injury" includes occupational diseases arising out of the employment. There are special rules covering the following ...
>> Read more about Workers' Compensation
More on this topic:
Who Is Covered?
What Is Covered?
Preexisting Conditions/Second Injuries
Safety Plans and Safety Committees
Violations and Penalties
District of Columbia |
New Hampshire |
New Jersey |
New Mexico |
New York |
North Carolina |
North Dakota |
Rhode Island |
South Carolina |
South Dakota |
West Virginia |
Wisconsin Workers' Compensation Resources
Workers' Compensation Products
Compensation.BLR.com will help you price jobs competitively and comply with FLSA and wage and hour laws in your state. Get reliable salary data in seconds, along with the answers to complex state overtime compliance questions in one easy to use website. Get a VIP tour - call 1 800 454-0404"
Employee Compensation in [Your State]
This comprehensive resource solves your two biggest headaches in employee compensation. It gives you wage and hour law explanations and comparisons between state and federal. Saves you time and worry, makes sure you pay competitively.
Subscription includes online companion site. "
Safety.BLR.com - Making Safety Training and Compliance Easier
Safety training and compliance just got easier. You get easy access to hundreds of training solutions, easy-to-understand regulatory analysis, analysis of federal and state full-text regs, regulatory activity, news, and best practices. Safety.BLR.com - your online safety solution."
Audio Click 'n Train: Workers' Compensation - What Supervisors Need to Know
This movie-like version of the powerpoint presentation with audio makes it easy to deliver workers' compensation training to your supervisors. This ready-to-deliver meeting gives you effective toolbox training - no preparation required! Includes meeting outlines, customizable PowerPoint® slides, handouts, quiz, trainer's guide and more!"
Click 'n Train: Workers' Compensation - What Supervisors Need to Know
Complete PowerPoint® training meeting made easy to deliver workers' compensation training to your supervisors. This ready-to-deliver meeting gives you effective toolbox training – no preparation required! Includes meeting outlines, customizable PowerPoint slides, handouts, and quizzes."