Virtually all employees must be covered by workers' compensation insurance (IL Comp. Stat. Ch. 820 Sec. 305/1et seq.). The only exceptions are the following types of workers:
• Those working for agricultural enterprises with a payroll of less than 400 person-days per year
• Real estate sellers or brokers who work for commissions
• Employees covered by federal workers' compensation law
• Domestic servants, unless they work 40 hours per week for at least 13 weeks of a calendar year
• Members of fire and police departments in cities with over 200,000 residents
• Persons working outside the usual course of the employer's business
Employees may not waive their rights to workers' compensation coverage except with the approval of the Industrial Commission.