The HPHCA covers all employers with one or more “regular” employees, except for the state and its subdivisions, the U.S. government, and any foreign government (Haw. Rev. Stat. Sec. 393-3).
Coverage under a qualified prepaid health insurance plan must begin as soon as possible after a “regular” employee has worked four weeks for the employer. A “regular” employee is defined as a person who works at least 20 hours a week and earns a monthly wage of 86.67 times the prevailing minimum wage. Seasonal employees are not counted as regular employees. The term "regular employee" does not include:
• Individuals who work less than 20 hours per week;
• Federal, state, and county employees;
• Agricultural seasonal workers;
• Insurance or real estate salespersons paid solely by commission;
• Individuals working for a son, daughter, or spouse; or
• Children under age 21 working for their father or mother (Haw. Rev. Stat. Sec. 393-5).
Individuals can elect to be exempt from ...