Nebraska Deductions From Pay laws & compensation compliance analysis

Nebraska Deductions From Pay: What you need to know

Employers may make deductions from employees' wages only if the deductions are:
For a Limited Time receive a FREE Compensation Market Analysis Report! Find out how much you should be paying to attract and retain the best applicants and employees, with customized information for your industry, location, and job. Get Your Report Now!
• Required or permitted by state or federal law or by court order; or
• Authorized in writing by the employee (NE Rev. Stat. Sec. 48-1230).
Typical deductions include payment of insurance premiums or pension assessments, payments to credit unions or employee organizations, purchase of government bonds, or contributions to charity.
Public employees. Public employees may voluntarily participate in credit unions, employee organizations, or certain community charities by signing orders authorizing their employers to withhold a certain amount from their wages each month and pay it to the designated recipient (NE Rev. Stat. Sec. 48-224).
Employers may not require employees to pay for medical exams that are required as a condition of employment (NE Rev. Stat. Sec. 48-220et seq.).
Assignments of wages made by the head of a family that are not for child support are void unless signed by both spouses. Employee-authorized payroll deductions for the purchase of government bonds, contributions to charity, payment of employee organization dues, group or individual insurance premiums, pension contributions, deposits to credit unions, and savings plan contributions are not subject to this requirement. Assignments of wages are limited to the percentage of wages that are subject to garnishment (NE Rev. Stat. Sec. 36-213). There is additional information.

Read more about Deductions From Pay