Governing Law and Regulations
Renewable energy portfolio standard: Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 19.285.010 to 19.285.903
Utility conservation: RCW 19.285.010
Washington Department of Commerce
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. To date, the federal government's involvement in renewable energy programs has been limited to voluntary programs and providing financial incentives for renewable energy generation. However, Washington state legislation has established a renewable energy portfolio standard and conservation standards.
• Administration and enforcement. The Washington Department of Commerce administers and enforces the renewable energy and energy conservation requirements in Washington.
Renewable Energy Portfolio Standard
RCW 19.285.010 to 19.285.903
Washington has passed renewable portfolio standard statutes that require each utility that serves more than 25,000 customers in the state of Washington to use eligible renewable resources or acquire equivalent renewable energy credits, or a combination of both, to meet the following annual targets:
- 2012: 3 percent
- 2016: 9 percent
- 2020: 15 percent
Eligible renewable resources. Renewable resources include the following:
- Solar energy
- Geothermal energy
- Landfill gas
- Wave, ocean, or tidal power
- Gas from sewage treatment facilities
- Biodiesel fuel that is not derived from crops raised on land cleared from old growth or first-growth forests where the clearing occurred after December 7, 2006
- Biomass energy based on animal waste or solid organic ...