Governing Law and Regulations
Policy to encourage voluntary compliance by means of environmental compliance audits and implementation of compliance management systems (audit policy): Document No.: 012–0840–001
Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Office of Policy
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. No federal or state laws or regulations require environmental auditing. However, Pennsylvania's DEP follows a department-wide policy to encourage voluntary compliance of applicable environmental requirements by means of environmental compliance audits and compliance management systems. This policy offers penalty mitigation for certain violations that are discovered during an audit or through a compliance management system (CMS) and voluntarily disclosed to DEP.
• Administration and enforcement. Pennsylvania's audit policy was created by the Office of Policy and is enforced by various divisions of DEP.
PENNSYLVANIA AUDIT POLICY
The policy applies to the Department's enforcement activities under the following acts:
- Air Pollution Control Act
- Solid Waste Management Act
- Clean Streams Law
- Storage Tank and Spill Prevention Act
- Hazardous Sites Cleanup Act
- Safe Drinking Water Act
- Municipal Waste Planning, Recycling, and Waste Reduction Act
- Infectious and Chemotherapeutic Waste Law
- Surface Mining Conservation and Reclamation Act
- Noncoal Surface Mining Conservation and Reclamation Act
- Bituminous Mine Subsidence and Land Conservation Act
- Coal Refuse Disposal Act
- Pennsylvania Sewage Facilities Act
- Dam Safety and Encroachments ...