Governing Law and Regulations
Virginia Waste Management Act, Article 3.3; Virginia Code Annotated (VCA) 10.1-1425.10 to 10.1-1425.19
Definition: VCA 10.1-1425.10
P2 assistance program: VCA 10.1-1425.12
Trade secrets: VCA 10.1-1425.16
Virginia Pollution Prevention Advisory Committee: VCA 10.1-1425.13
Virginia Environmental Excellence Program (VEEP): VCA 10.1-1187.1 to 1187.7
Information to apply: VCA 10.1-1187.4
Participation: VCA 10.1-1187.4
Governor's Environmental Excellence Awards: VCA 10.1.1187.7
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) Office of Pollution Prevention
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 3
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. Virginia enacted its own pollution prevention (P2) legislation, which creates a voluntary P2 program. In addition, the federal P2 rules apply in Virginia. The state encourages P2 activities through the Virginia Waste Management Act by removing barriers and providing incentives and assistance.
• Administration and enforcement. DEQ's Office of Pollution Prevention administers and enforces the federal and state P2 rules in Virginia.
Virginia defines "P2" as eliminating or reducing the use, generation, or release at the source of environmental waste. Methods of P2 include, but are not limited to:
- Equipment or technology modifications
- Process or procedure modifications
- Reformulation or redesign of products
- Substitution of raw materials
- Improvements in housekeeping, maintenance, training, or inventory control
- Closed-loop recycling
- On-site process-related recycling
- Reuse or extended use of any material utilizing equipment or methods that are an integral part of a production process