Governing Law and Regulations
State pollution prevention program: Wisconsin Statutes Annotated (WSA) 299.13 to 299.15
Grants: NR 548
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR)
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. Wisconsin follows federal pollution prevention (P2) requirements. State grants are available for eligible P2 projects.
• Administration and enforcement. The DNR administers and enforces the state and federal pollution prevention rules in Wisconsin.
SOLID WASTE REDUCTION AND RECYCLING
Wisconsin towns, villages, cities, public entities, private businesses, and nonprofit organizations are eligible to apply for funding to implement innovative solid waste reduction and recycling projects on a pilot or demonstration scale.
For a project to be eligible, an applicant must demonstrate:
- The proposed project demonstrates an innovative technique, process, or system for waste reduction or recycling;
- The ability to carry out the demonstration project; and
- Evidence of adequate financial support to carry out and complete the proposed project.
The maximum grant award amount may not exceed 50 percent of the actual eligible costs. In addition, no award can exceed $150,000.
GREEN TIER PROGRAM
DNR's Green Tier Program is a voluntary program open to small and large businesses, trade associations, communities, and nonprofit organizations. The program provides credible, creative ways to enable participants to be powerful, sustainable, enhance productivity, reduce costs, and strengthen the health of the community. Benefits include:
- Recognition for superior environmental performance