Governing Law and Regulations
Hazardous materials transportation: New Hampshire Regulations-Safety Commissioner (NH Regs. Saf-C) 601.01 to 605.03
Reports and notification requirements: NH Regs. Saf-C 604.01 and NH Reg. Saf-C 605.01 to 605.03
New Hampshire Department of Safety (DOS)
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. New Hampshire adopts by reference the federal hazardous materials transportation regulations as they apply to hazardous materials transporters. The state has additional notification requirements.
• Administration and enforcement. DOS administers the state highway safety rules.
REPORTS AND NOTIFICATION
NH Regs. Saf-C 604.01, NH Regs Saf-C 605.01 to 605.03
In addition to the notification requirements under federal regulations, hazardous materials transporters in New Hampshire must notify DOS at 603-271-2559 and send copies of any reports to:
Commissioner of Safety James H. Hayes Building 33 Hazen Drive Concord, NH 03305
If there is an incident involving hazardous materials during transportation, loading, unloading, or storage, the motor carrier must immediately notify DOS at state police headquarters at 603-271-3636. The notification must include:
- The reporting party's name
- The name and address of reporting party's motor carrier
- The telephone number where reporting party can be contacted
- The date, time, and location of incident
- The extent of injuries, if any
- The classification, name, and quantity of hazardous materials involved, if available
- The type of incident, nature of hazardous materials involved, and whether a continuing danger to ...