Utah Hazmat Transportation regulations & environmental compliance analysis

Utah Hazmat Transportation: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Regulations for motor carriers transporting hazardous materials: Utah Administrative Rules (R)909-75-1 and R909-75-2

Regulatory Agencies
For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) Motor Carrier Division

Utah Department of Public Safety (UDPS) Driver License Division

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Utah adopts by reference the federal hazardous materials regulations as they apply to hazardous materials transporters. All persons who transport hazardous materials (which include hazardous wastes) into or through Utah must apply to the Utah Department of Transportation (UDOT) for a uniform hazardous materials registration and a hazardous materials safety permit.

In addition to a commercial driver's license (CDL), anyone carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placards is required to have a hazardous materials endorsement from the Utah Department of Public Safety (UDPS). Before applying for this endorsement, a driver must undergo a federal security threat assessment. See the national section HAZARDOUS MATERIALS TRANSPORTERS for more information.

In addition to all federal transporter regulations, hazardous waste transporters must comply with additional state discharge notification and manifest requirements. For information specific to hazardous waste transporters in Utah, see the state section HAZARDOUS WASTE TRANSPORTERS.

Administration and enforcement. UDOT's Motor Carrier Division is responsible for enforcing the hazardous materials regulations in Utah. The Driver License Division of the UDPS issues CDLs as well as hazardous materials endorsements.

Read more about Hazmat Transportation