Governing Law and Regulations
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)
Virginia Department of State Police (DSP)
Virginia Department of Transportation (DOT)
Virginia Department of Emergency Management (DEM)
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. Virginia incorporates by reference the federal hazardous materials regulations as they apply to motor carriers. The Virginia Department of Transportation (DOT) restricts the transportation of hazardous materials in certain tunnels. The Commonwealth also maintains a registry of shippers of hazardous radioactive materials and monitors the transportation of these materials within the state.
• Administration and enforcement. DEQ and DSP administer and enforce Virginia's hazardous materials transporter rules. Shippers of hazardous radioactive materials must register with DEM.
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS TUNNEL RESTRICTIONS
24 VAC 30-61-40
Hazardous materials are regulated in the four urban and water-proximate tunnels:
- Elizabeth River Tunnel – Downtown
- Elizabeth River Tunnel – Midtown
- Hampton Roads Bridge – Tunnel
- Monitor-Merrimac Memorial Bridge - Tunnel
The restriction are based exclusively on the hazard class of the material being conveyed. Materials in the following classes are not allowed passage through the four urban, water-proximate tunnels: