Kentucky Accumulation Time regulations & environmental compliance analysis

Kentucky Accumulation Time: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Large quantity generators (LQGs) and small quantity generators (SQGs): 401 Kentucky Administrative Regulations (KAR) 32:030, Section 5

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Conditionally exempt SQGs: 401 KAR 31:010, Section 5

Regulatory Agency

Kentucky Energy and Environment Cabinet Department for Environmental Protection (DEP) Division of Waste Management Hazardous Waste Branch Hazardous Waste Management Program

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Kentucky has adopted the federal accumulation time rules, including the March 2000 federal accumulation time standards that allow LQGs that generate wastewater treatment sludges from the metal finishing industry (i.e., EPA Waste F006) to accumulate F006 beyond the usual 90-day LQG limitation. DEP imposes one additional requirement: that LQGs (persons generating more than 1,000 kilograms (kg) of hazardous waste per month) and SQGs (persons generating more than 100 kg but less than 1,000 kg of hazardous waste per month) requesting an extension of the accumulation time period supply specific information in a written request.

See the state section HAZARDOUS WASTE STORAGE for information on how to store hazardous waste on-site without a permit.

Administration and enforcement. DEP's Hazardous Waste Branch administers and enforces the generator accumulation time rules in Kentucky.

State Requirements


Like the federal rules, LQGs that wish to accumulate hazardous wastes for more than 90 days and SQGs that wish to accumulate hazardous wastes for more than 180 days must request an accumulation time extension from DEP. ...

Read more about Accumulation Time