Ohio Brownfields regulations & environmental compliance analysis

Ohio Brownfields: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Ohio Voluntary Action Program (VAP): Ohio Revised Code Annotated (ORCA) 3746.01 to 3746.99 and regulations at Ohio Administrative Code (OAC) 3745-300-01 to 3745-300-14

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Eligibility: OAC 3745-300-02

Certified professionals: OAC 3745-300-03 to 3745-300-05

No Further Action (NFA) letters: OAC 3745-300-13

Recordkeeping: OAC 3745-300-05

Site Assessment and Brownfield Revitalization (SABR): ORCA 122.65

Regulatory Agencies

Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA) Division of Environmental Response and Revitalization Ohio Voluntary Action Program (VAP)

OEPA Division of Environmental Response and Revitalization Site Assessment and Brownfield Revitalization (SABR)

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 5

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Ohio provides assistance for the cleanup and redevelopment of brownfields through its administration of the Voluntary Action Program (VAP) and the Site Assessment and Brownfield Revitalization (SABR) program.

Administration and enforcement. The OEPA is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the state's voluntary brownfields program. SABR serves as a contact for brownfields or contaminated sites that are not yet enrolled in a cleanup program.

State Requirements


OAC 3745-300-01 to 3745-300-14

The VAP was created to give individuals a way to investigate possible environmental contamination, clean it up if necessary, and receive certification from the state that no additional cleanup is required through the issuance of an NFA letter.


OAC 3745-300-02

Generally, any person may participate in the VAP to ...

Read more about Brownfields

More on this topic:

Governing Law and Regulations
Regulatory Agencies
Comparison: State vs. Federal
State Requirements