Washington Brownfields regulations & environmental compliance analysis

Washington Brownfields: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Washington Model Toxics Control Act (MTCA), Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 70.105D.010 to 70.105D.921

For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Washington hazardous waste cleanup regulations: Washington Administrative Code (WAC) 173-340

Grants and loans:

Site assessment grants: WAC 173-322A-300

Oversight remedial action grants and loans: WAC 173-322A-320 and WAC 173-322A-325

Independent remedial action grants: WAC 173-322A-330

Integrated planning grants: WAC 173-322A-310

Area-wide groundwater investigation grants: WAC 173-322A-340

Regulatory Agencies

Washington Department of Ecology (WDOE) Toxics Cleanup Program

Washington Department of Community Trade and Economic Development

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 10

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Washington offers several programs to encourage the redevelopment of brownfields. The Washington Model Toxics Control Act (MTCA), Washington's Superfund law, allows prospective purchasers of brownfields to be protected from liability for any existing contamination under prospective purchaser "covenants not to sue" and "no-further action letters" from state agencies. See the state section SUPERFUND for a further discussion of the federal Superfund and state MTCA requirements. See the national section BROWNFIELDS for more information on federal brownfields programs.

Administration and enforcement. WDOE's Toxics Cleanup Program administers and enforces the MTCA in Washington, and also administers certain funding programs. The Washington Department of Community Trade and Economic Development manages the Brownfields Revolving Loan Fund and provides ...

Read more about Brownfields

More on this topic:

Governing Law and Regulations
Regulatory Agencies
Comparison: State vs. Federal
State Requirements