Governing Law and Regulations
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Division of Air and Waste Bureau of Waste and Materials Management Hazardous Waste Prevention and Management Section
See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.
See national section for basic information and federal regulations.
Comparison: State vs. Federal
• Rules. Wisconsin follows the federal hazardous waste container rules, including the empty container standards. The federal organic air emissions standards for containers are in effect in Wisconsin.
• Administration and enforcement. DNR's Bureau of Waste and Materials Management administers and enforces the hazardous waste container requirements in Wisconsin, including the organic air emissions standards.
COMMON CONTAINER VIOLATIONS
The following violations of container rules are among the most common violations found by DNR during hazardous waste inspections:
- Not marking containers as "Hazardous Waste"
- Not marking the start date of accumulation on the container at the accumulation point
- Open containers (not keeping drums closed except when it is necessary to add or remove waste)
- Using non-DOT containers, improper containers, or containers in poor condition
- Not maintaining hazardous waste container inspection logs or summaries
See the national sections CONTAINERS and HAZARDOUS WASTE STORAGE to review the applicable requirements.