Kansas Containment Buildings regulations & environmental compliance analysis

Kansas Containment Buildings: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Containment building requirements: Kansas Administrative Regulations (KAR) 28-31-264(a) and KAR 28-31-265(a) (interim status)

Regulatory Agency
For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE Division of Environment Bureau of Waste Management Hazardous Waste Program

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. Kansas has incorporated by reference the federal containment building rules. In addition, owners and operators of containment buildings must comply with the hazardous waste treatment, storage, and disposal facility (TSDF) permit application requirements and pay several state facility fees.

Administration and enforcement. KDHE's Bureau of Waste Management administers and enforces the containment building requirements in Kansas.

State Requirements


Kansas's permit requirements for TSDFs include the federal requirements plus the state's additional rules in connection with a permit application disclosure statement, notification on the facility's deed, restrictive covenants, and easements. For more information regarding these state requirements, see the state section TSDF PERMITS.


Owners and operators of hazardous waste containment buildings are subject to state facility fees, including an annual monitoring fee. Refer to the state section TSDF PERMITS for the schedule of Kansas's facility fees.

Read more about Containment Buildings