West Virginia Containment Buildings regulations & environmental compliance analysis

West Virginia Containment Buildings: What you need to know

Governing Law and Regulations

Containment building requirements: West Virginia Regulations (WV Reg.) 33-20-7.2 and WV Reg. 33-20-8.1 (interim status)

Regulatory Agency
For a Limited Time receive a FREE EHS Report "Recordkeeping for EHS Managers." This special report contains a recordkeeping checklist to help you keep track of your records for major environmental laws and OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard. Download Now

West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) Division of Water and Waste Management Environmental Enforcement Branch Hazardous Waste Unit

See ADDRESSES & CONTACTS for addresses and telephone numbers.

See national section for basic information and federal regulations.

Comparison: State vs. Federal

Rules. West Virginia has adopted the federal hazardous waste containment building requirements. In addition, owners and operators of containment buildings must comply with the state's more stringent hazardous waste treatment, storage, and disposal facility (TSDF) permit application and fee requirements.

Administration and enforcement. DEP's Division of Water and Waste Management administers and enforces the containment building rules in West Virginia.

State Requirements


Hazardous waste facility owners and operators in West Virginia are subject to several additional state permit conditions not included in the federal rules. The state has additional permit application requirements for TSDFs, including those regarding siting standards. The state's more stringent permit standards are reviewed in the state section TSDF PERMITS.


Owners and operators of hazardous waste TSDFs in West Virginia must pay various state permit and facility fees. West Virginia has several permit fees, including those for permit applications, post-closure care permits, and permit modifications. The state also requires facilities to pay an annual groundwater protection fee. See the state section TSDF PERMITS for more ...

Read more about Containment Buildings